Max Verstappen welcomed new Aston Martin Red Bull Racing team-mate Pierre Gasly to his home country of the Netherlands so they could race around a speed skating track in karts. Here is all you need to know:
– With the 2019 Formula 1 season opener still over a month away in Australia on March 17, Verstappen took the chance to show Frenchman Gasly a unique slice of Dutch life at the Biddinghuizen speed skating track.
– The country is famous for producing the world’s best speed skaters and Verstappen’s old kart team prepared two karts for them to try power slides, donuts and Scandinavian flicks around the narrow 3km ice track.
– Verstappen, 21, said: “It was my first time ice karting and it was pretty quick. At one point we were going over 100, in sixth gear, so it was great. If I was to rate my drifts, I’d give myself eight. I had a lot of fun with Pierre and it was a great way to start the season together.”
– Gasly, who rated his drifts 10 out of 10, added: “There were a few nice moments with Max, just drifting side by side. I love competing and when I was racing in the World Karting Championship and the European Championship, the adrenaline and competition made it super exciting, but this was more of a fun day and it was great to do this with Max. Now I guess I should find something fun for him to do when he comes to France.”
– Their focus now moves on to the official team launch at Silverstone on February 13 and the first pre-season test in Barcelona, Spain from February 18-21.