Spaniard Espargaro ends dramatic Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas eighth.
Italian Andrea Dovizioso fought hard to grab fourth place at the Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas and the 2019 title lead as Marc Marquez and Jorge Lorenzo failed to finish in Austin. Here is all you need to know:
– The Spaniard’s race was ended prematurely, though, on Lap 9 braking his Repsol Honda into Turn 12 at the end of the long back straight. Despite trying to remount, he couldn’t restart his RC213V which meant he lost his perfect record at the Circuit of the Americas.
– Veteran Italian Valentino Rossi was left in command, however he didn’t count on Spaniard Rins chasing him down on a Suzuki for a dramatic first win in the elite class.
– Rossi finished second on his Yamaha with Australian Jack Miller third, leaving Dovizioso’s Ducati in fourth and into the 2019 title lead by three points from Rossi.
– Marquez is nine points behind Dovizioso, while Pol Espargaro’s eighth place on Sunday leaves the Red Bull KTM Factory Racing rider ninth in the overall standings.
Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas top five:
1. Alex Rins SPA Suzuki Ecstar 41’45.499
2. Valentino Rossi ITA Monster Yamaha +0.462
3. Jack Miller AUS Pramac Racing +8.454
4. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Mission Winnow Ducati +9.420
5. Franco Morbidelli ITA Petronas Yamaha SRT +18.021
2019 MotoGP rider standings:
1. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Mission Winnow Ducati 54pts
2. Valentino Rossi ITA Monster Yamaha 51
3. Alex Rins SPA Suzuki Ecstar 49
4. Marc Marquez SPA Repsol Honda 45
5. Danilo Petrucci ITA Mission Winnow Ducati 30